Frequently Asked Questions
What is Angelic Organics?
Angelic Organics is a certified organic, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) vegetable and herb farm, run by life-long farmer John Peterson, who grew up on this farm. We have 35 acres in production and 35 in cover crops (for soil fertility) in any given year.
We’re located in north-central Illinois, less than 2 hours northwest of downtown Chicago and 30 minutes northeast of Rockford, at 1547 Rockton Rd., Caledonia, IL 61011. We started growing organically in 1990 and have operated as a CSA since 1991.
Learn about the farm’s history here.
Watch the feature documentary The Real Dirt on Farmer John for free on our website here: Watch the Movie. The film documents 50 years of Angelic Organics and Farmer John’s life, has garnered 31 festival awards and has been seen by millions throughout the world.
What is Community Supported Agriculture?
Working directly with you, without the intermediary of stores or wholesalers, gives us the opportunity to provide competitive organic prices, and the freshest quality vegetables customized to your preferences. This system is known as Community Supported Agriculture, or, most simply, CSA.
What Does it Mean to be a Shareholder?
With an upfront payment, you purchase a “share” of our season’s harvest, thus becoming a shareholder. You then receive a weekly box (or every-other-week box) of our freshest, seasonal produce customized to your preferences during the course of our 20-week harvest season, from early June to late October. Further, you may choose to extend the season with an Extended Season Share – 2 or 4 additional boxes of storage vegetables delivered up until Thanksgiving time.
A Shared Commitment
With your purchase of a share, you dedicate yourself to being our customer for the year, thus providing us a secure market — a welcome measure of certainty in the fickle world of farming! We, in turn, dedicate ourselves to being your farmers, providing you with a varied, nutritious vegetable diet. We also work diligently to connect you to the farm and your food through weekly issues of Farm News and our Field Days.
How do I receive my CSA share?
- If you would like to pick up at a community delivery site, we have more than 40 pickup locations in the Chicagoland area. You will receive detailed pickup instructions for the site that you select, with directions and the best way to contact your site host if needed.
- If you would like to receive home delivery, please email email@example.com so that we can determine which day of the week you will receive home delivery based on your address. We make home deliveries 7 days a week, and the cost per home delivery is $12. Our deliveries are made by a member of our farm’s staff in a refrigerated van, and our delivery window is 8am – 9pm, though we strive to have all deliveries complete by 8pm.
What if I'm unable to pick up my share on a given week?
- If you will be out of town or otherwise unable to pick up your share at the regular time and location, there are three options:
- Have a friend pick up for you, and please share your pickup instructions with them so they know where to find your share at the site.
- Log in to the system to change to one of our other regularly scheduled CSA drop locations. We are unable to accommodate last minute changes to share pickups.
- If neither of the above options work for you, you may place that week’s share on hold or request to donate it.
- If you miss your regularly scheduled pickup time and have not made alternate arrangements with your site host in advance, your share will be donated at the end of pickup hours. To be fair to all shareholders and to the farm, we aren’t able to replace shares that were delivered to a site but not picked up.
What about holidays?
- Shares are delivered as scheduled throughout the season, including holiday weeks. If you plan to be away, please make arrangements for a friend to pick up your share or change to one of our other pickup locations by logging in to the system and making changes prior to the order deadline.
How can I stay connected to Angelic Organics throughout the season?
- Farmer John publishes a Farm News newsletter each week of the season, which will be included with your delivery reminder emails and can also be referenced on our website here.
- We'll email you with updates and reminders. Our emails will come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add us to your contacts or safe senders list to be sure our emails land in your main inbox.
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram to see pictures of the farm and find out more.
- Feel free to email us at email@example.com with questions.